[PD] unable to type certain characters

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Jul 26 15:50:00 CEST 2016

> though of course this is not the real reason why these keys are forbidden.

so what is the real reason?

to me it feels weird that these three characters (which are omnipresent in most languages) should be totally forbidden in Pd. right now it seems like I can't build things like regular expressions, java script code or JSON data in a way which isn't totally akward and defeats the purpose of human-readable formats.

after some more trying I discovered that I can actually safely type '{' and '}' within a [text] window, although I still get the 'keycode dropped' error in the console. '\' on the other hand only works together with ';' to escape the semicolon. apart from that it will always be dropped.

some questions:

why can I type curly braces in [text] but not in a message box?

why can I escape a semicolon in [text] but not in a message box?

even if there should be a serious technical reason for why a user shall not be able to type these characters in a message box, would it at least be possible to create them dynamically, e.g. with a message similar to 'addsemi', 'addcomma' or 'adddollar'?

Christof