[PD] current status of [midiout]

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Thu Jul 28 15:11:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

what's the current status of the [midiout] object? there have been warnings in the past and the help patch doesn't say much about it.
for example i found this old thread in the list archives:

https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2010-02/076074.html

here Martin says:

>> Shouldn't [midiout] be renamed to [sysexout]? It only does sysex, you can't send any other kind of MIDI message with [midiout].

I'm on Win7 and [midiout] works like a charm. I can send both channel and system messages (though I have only tried system common and system realtime so far, still have to test sysex). I can easily play MIDI files with [mrpeach/midifile] -> [drip] -> [midiout] on my old Roland D110 :-).

my question is: have all those supposed issues with [midiout] been fixed? does it work the same way on all systems? are there any pitfalls I have to consider beforehand?

@Miller: would you mind adding a note to the helpfile that [midiout] only accepts single characters as floats but no lists? it took me some time to figure that out... or even better: adding a list method? ;-)

Christof