[PD] current status of [midiout]

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Fri Jul 29 11:53:22 CEST 2016

I think there seems to be a misunderstanding. I never advocated to rename [midiout] to [sysexout] - on the contrary!
I used an old post by Martin to show that in the past [midiout] used to be broken on some systems or behave differently. For example, Martin apparantly could only send sysex, but no channel messages.

For me on Win7 [midiout] works fine in a way that I can send *all* kind of valid MIDI messages. I just wanted to make sure that this is now the case for all major systems.

regarding a list method for [midiout]: since all popular objects for streaming bytes [netsend -b], [udpsend], [comport], etc. accept lists, it is somewhat counterintuitive that this is not the case for [midiout]. if you want to keep this kind of special behaviour, it would be cool to make it clear in the help patch - to prevent future users from tearing their hair out :-)

Christof