[PD] Declaring libraries and setting paths

Björn Eriksson miulew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 04:00:13 CEST 2016

Hi again!
In the recent GEM problem resolving I learnt alot (thanks!), also on the
situation of declaring libraries in Pd Vanilla. Also I did learn that some
libraries cannot be declared as [declare -lib libraryname] within the
patch. I experienced this with cyclone which I had to instead [declare
-stdpath cyclone]. While this might not be such a big issue, are there some
ways to "know" if a library has either one of these behaviours?

Is FLOSS Pd manual the best compilation of objects and libraries that are
published (online)?
http://en.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/list-of-objects/glue/
http://en.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/list-of-objects/math/ etcetera

Found this onepage copied from FLOSS page of objects here that might be
useful to some:
http://blog.joehahn.ws/list-puredata-objects-and-extended-objects

I could easily imagine a back page on this handy reference card with a
summary of libraries with short description of possible and maybe some
install hints. Usage of deken, and whatmore..?
https://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/pd-refcard

Anyhow, I guess also some of the knowledge on these matters has to be
transmitted step by step (in different ways) as people do learn more.
Without some struggle, no insights. This is also to be balanced to the
eagerness of the "new to Pd´s" who wants to push buttons and turn some
knobs more than investing in the time it takes to learn something new. I am
not suggesting anything special here, but I think sometimes there is reason
why some new to Pd gives up easily (which is some of my experiences). I
didn´t make the Vanilla jump until this summer, and being on a windows
machine does not make it more easy. I imagine there might be alot things
worth writing tutorials on, for instance updating the FLOSS manual, also I
understand it is up to me and others who sees the need to do it, just to do
it! So it´s nothing of complaint here...  JUST HAPPY! Pd is a powerful tool
and working on it together it can just be better!

Sorry for the meanderings in latter part of mail, main question here is the
one if it is possible to know behaviour of libraries, either by reading, or
on looking at them in special way. (for instance when they are loaded by
deken)

All the best!
/Björn Eriksson