[PD] Trying to get GEM going on Pd Vanilla / Win10

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 4 13:25:53 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-04 03:23, Björn Eriksson wrote:
> In the patch I do have to [declare -lib /Gem-0.93.3/Gem] or with direct
> path where Gem is installed, on my external harddrive that is [declare -lib
> G:/pd/extra/Gem-0.93.3/Gem].

well, that sounds like a bad layout.
the point of using [declare] is to create patches with dependency
information that is platform independent and sharable.

for instance it makes little sense to use [declare -lib
D:\bjoern\Pd-Projects\Gem-0.89\Gem]: while it might work, the patch will
break as soon as you give it away (or port it to another computer, that
is not running windows ANDOR has a cd-drive occupying the "D:" letter
rather than yoiur USB-stick ANDOR has a different filesystem layout
ANDOR ...

sp, if you put your externals into extra/, then you shouldn't use
version-prefixes.
if you do want to organise the directories the way you like, use the
preferences to add additional paths.

e.g. extracting Gem to D:\bjoern\Pd-Projects\Gem-0.89\Gem\ you could add
"D:\bjoern\Pd-Projects\Gem-0.89\" to your search-paths (in the
Pd-preferences) and then use [declare -lib Gem] in your patch.
then, if you want to migrate the patch to another machine, install Gem
to /home/bobby/projects/2018/external-pool/Gem/ and add
"/home/bobby/projects/2018/external-pool" to your Pd-preferences.
then run your patch.
without any modifications!

fgasdmr
IOhannes