[PD] when is it necessary to manually free inlets/outlets?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Aug 9 03:31:24 CEST 2016

Hi, do you ever actually need to call void inlet_free(t_inlet *x) and void outlet_free(t_outlet *x) explicitly when writing externals?  I'm talking about code like this:

int i=0;
for(i=0; i<x->x_numouts; i++) {
  outlet_free(x->x_out[i]);
}
freebytes(x->x_out, x->x_numouts*sizeof(t_outlet*));

I see that you should free the t_outlet* array which holds the references to your outlets but I thought that the outlets itself get deleted automatically when the object's lifetime expires... most of the time I don't see people freeing inlets/outlets, so I was wondering if there are situations where it *is* necessary?

Christof