[PD] External libraries not found via declare object or startup flags (pd 0.47.1, linux)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 11 09:43:05 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-11 00:38, oliver wrote:
> Why Pd does not allow to load
> recursively also the subfolders of a
> folder indicated in the Preferences->Path?
> It would be great since one could just add the path /usr/lib/pd/extra...

ah yes, the joys of recursively adding / to the recursively searched
paths...

> actually this should also
> be automatically loaded, without the need for the user to setup the Path
> in the Preferences,
> since deken automatically places the externals there.

ah no, it does not.
deken *suggests* placing the objects into paths that are searched for by
the currently running installation of Pd.
it also prefers to install it into a per-user specific directory
(~/.local/lib/pd/extra) rather than a system-wide dir
(/usr/lib/pd/extra), mostly because most users do not have write-access
to the system-wide dirs.
also note, that a Pd installed as /usr/local/bin/pd will *never
automatically* search /usr/lib/pd/extra (and deken running inside this
Pd will never suggest to install anything into /usr/lib/pd/extra)

i think your trouble started when i suggested that you could install
Pd-libraries via the system package manager and use the deken-apt plugin
to integrate the system package manger into deken.
this does not go together well with a self-compiled Pd residing in
/usr/local/, as the system package manager explicitely installs packages
into /usr/lib/pd and is really meant for a Pd installation provided by
the system package manager as well.

so it's probably time to reverse my suggestion of using apt and/or
deken-apt together with your self-compiled Pd.

the proper options i see are to either use a self-compiled Pd XOR a
system-provided Pd consistently.
#1 totally switch to self-compiled Pd
- remove pd-deken-apt and apt-installed pd packages.
- remove /usr/lib/pd/extra from your Pd-preferences
- install externals the (native) deken way, hoping that somebody has
already uploaded binaries for your architecture, and if not, do that
yourself...

#2 switch to a system installed Pd
- remove your locally compiled Pd from /usr/local/
- remove /usr/lib/pd/extra from your Pd-preferences
- install & use the "puredata" package provided by your distribution

#2a
assuming that the reason for using a self-compiled Pd in the first place
was that your distro lacks a recent-enough Pd (e.g. you'd like to use
Pd-0.47 and your ubuntu only comes with Pd-0.46), you can pretty easily
create "backported" debs for your system.
since i have explained that a number of times on this list, i will skip
it for now and refer you to the list-archives, e.g. [1]
(obviouly you have to change the actual version number according to what
is currently cooking [2])

hjm
IOhannes

[1] https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2014-11/108380.html