[PD] Gem string encoding in [text2d]

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:28:00 CEST 2016

On Don, 2016-08-18 at 18:32 +0200, Jack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In fact, 'string ..." are numbers of unicode code, not utf8 (see
> text3d
> help file)

I see.

> So you need to convert utf8 to unicode.
> You are lucky, because there is an abstraction from IOhannes m
> zmölnig &
> Maira Sala that do the job for you, it is attached.

Thanks. Exactly what I need, then.

I see the advantage of using unicode numbers instead of utf-8 bytes in
that it is a bit easier to count the number of characters. It's just a
bit unlucky that [binfile] outputs bytes, [list fromsymbol] outputs
bytes, [list tosymbol] expects bytes. Ok, the 'string' method is
probably older, but it looks like utf-8 is more common.

Roman