[PD] VST plugin host

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 29 10:51:46 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-29 09:45, Vincent Vanbesien (DIEHCO) wrote:
> My question concerns the noise~ in input, can I replace it by a midi
> notein object ?

no.
[noise~] produces an audio-signal (a bunch of numbers representing audio
samples), wheras [notein] produces a message (a high-level structured
event representing arbitrary data).

not all vst-plugins take midi-notes, but [vst~] might have a way to get
the available messages you can send to a given plugin (but i don't know
as i never use it).

> The element named "pd midi" in the patch seems to generate midi and
> not to receive, is that right ?

no, actually it documents how to send midi events (e.g. notes) to a plugin.
the [s $0-vst] forwards all messages it receives to [r $0-vst], which
sends them to the [vst~] object.

so to answer your question, use something like

[notein 1]
[pack 0 0]

[note $1 $2(

[vst~]

this will take the note-in data (key and velocity) and create a new
message with selector "note" and the data and send that to [vst~].

fgmasd
IOhannes