[PD] Stuck with a "persistency" problem

José Rafael Subía Valdez jsubiavaldez at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 12:02:49 CEST 2016

Hello List,

over the last couple of days, I have been programming a preset system using
the [pool] object.
I have made a lot of progress but now I am stuck with a persistence problem.

a couple of days ago I started with my "scope" tests to see if its working,
this included

- on the main canvas
- in a subpatch
- in a GOP abstraction with no arguments
- in a GOP abstraction with arguments.

and here is where it got tricky. The solution that I have been trying to
implement is to retrieve the parent window name or better yet the name of
the canvas. [window_name] object by HCS does the trick, but the name
changes every time you open PD and the file, so it is not persistent.
[canvasname] on the other hand does not provide the parent canvas name.

Until now, the idea was to create a double ID that sets the name
dynamically in order of creation thanks to M. Barber's and L. Goodacre's
way of doing it, However, the order of creation resets if in a subpatch or
an abstraction with GOP. so the second ID, would let me know the scope that
I am in by adding the "window or canvas" that contains the abstractions.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or enlighten me with a
different solution.

the objective of the set of abstractions is to just replace the object
[tgl] with my abstraction [tgl_pre] and have the preset system working, so
I am trying to do it without setting arguments with [tgl_pre $1] as this
would imply that if I have 128 tgls, I have to rename each with a unique $1
each.

Thanks to all that have helped: T. Grill, M. Barber, L. Goodacre.

and thanks to anyone that can chip in with some ideas.

cheers
--
José Rafael Subía Valdez
www.jrsv.net