[PD] connecting pd-gui to pd

Jeremiah Rose jeremiah.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 09:17:45 CEST 2016

Hi there, I've already asked this question over at the pdpatchrepo forums
but I get the feeling you guys really know your stuff so I wanted to ask
here too.

Here's the situation -

Computer 1: a raspberry pi with no screen, keyboard or mouse that
automatically runs a headless instance of pure data when it boots up:
pd -nogui mypatch.pd

Computer 2: my laptop. I want to start the GUI separetly and connect it to
the existing pd instance on the raspberry pi so that I can program the
patch, alter it, save it, and watch it in action. I believe the command
should be something like:
pd-gui HOST:PORT

But I can't seem to make it work and there is no documentation to speak of
anywhere. Can anyone help?

I'd be happy to document this on the pd wiki and forums once I figure it
out, as there currently seems to be no reference.