[PD] Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter (Bluetooth MIDI) with Linux

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:49:27 CEST 2016

On Sep 04, Ingo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has used the Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter
> (Bluetooth v4.0 MIDI) with Linux.
> I was wondering how you could get the MIDI data to get recognized by Pd.
>
> Does anybody have any experience or know how to use it?
> I would like to use it with either Debian or Raspbian (or both).
>
> Ingo

I haven't used that particularl midi adapter, but I use a USB MIDI
footswitch a lot with my stuff and I run Xubuntu. I use it with this
program a2jmidid which is at least in the Ubuntu repos, I think it's
supposed to bridge ALSA MIDI and Jack MIDI. Anyways, I then open up a
ALSA MIDI channel or two in Pd. I then connect the two graphically via
Jack using that nifty qjackctl program.

So to sum up:
Logidy footswitch -> a2jmidid -> JACK (qjackctl) -> Pd via ALSA.

There prob is a way easier way to do it (mb I can get that footswitch in
directly to Pd via ALSA MIDI?) but I've found it to be reliable and
rock-solid in performance. Maybe you could follow a similar pattern with
your wireless MIDI adapter.

Derek