[PD] new_anything changed?

Orm Finnendahl orm.finnendahl at selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de
Mon Sep 12 19:33:40 CEST 2016

Hi List,

 within a custom external I try to load an abstraction called
"test.pd" and connect it internally. Unfortunately pd segfaults when
initializing the external with one of the the following calls:

    new_anything(&pd_objectmaker, gensym("test"), 0, NULL);

    new_anything(NULL, gensym("test"), 0, NULL);

I'm pretty sure this used to work some versions ago and assume
something in the process of creating objects has changed.

Can someone shed a light on this?

In addition I used to assign a pointer to the newly created object by
using the global "newest" pointer right after creating it. I remember
a remark in the sources stating that this might change in the
future. Is this method still valid or is there another way to get a
pointer to newly created objects within an external?

--
Orm