[PD] bendin bug (?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:34:17 CEST 2016

> As far as intuitiveness is concerned, -1 to 0.999878 is the most intuitive
> range for me.

You'll be glad to know that the update in cyclone will include also the -1
to 0.999878 range for you in midiformat/midiparse. I didn't mention, but
besides -8192 to 8191 they also included this - but there's no  0-16383
option though.

> Just to make a point that intuitiveness is arbitrary.

now i don't know if you're just pushing to make this point, when 3 people
already manifested that this sounds reasonable and intuitive as well.

> -8192 to 8191 sits somewhere in between, breaks free from the specs and
> yet is not intuitive to use.

but this is widely used and I've seen it in different occasions. for
instance, it is actually even used in Pd's bendout... why? Cause it is
something that actually exists! Another example is that it was just
introduced in Max's midiformat/midiparse *instead* of the 0-16383 range.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree that it is a "weird" inconsistent
standard. It is actually the only standard I ever knew until I found these
issues. And it is widely used because it is in fact intuitive, 'coz '0'
means no pitch bend up or down...  Now, ask a newbie what's the middle
point in the 0-16383 range?

cheers