[PD] bendin bug (?)

Giulio Moro giuliomoro at yahoo.it
Mon Sep 12 22:15:10 CEST 2016

ha! good point!there goes my argument.

      From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
 To: Giulio Moro <giuliomoro at yahoo.it>
Cc: Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu>; "pd-list at lists.iem.at" <pd-list at lists.iem.at>
 Sent: Monday, 12 September 2016, 21:10
 Subject: Re: [PD] bendin bug (?)

> didn't want to cause disturbance.
please, this is no disturbance and I don't represent this list any more than you do, everything I say is also just my opinion and my two cents
> If we want to abstract from the implementation
well, if we don't then maybe we should have 2 inputs/output for the Most and Least significant bits from 0-127, cause that is what the specification is... and the '0' point is 64 / 0
anything else is an abstraction
cheers

> it is a "weird" inconsistent standardI actually mean it is inconsistent with how the data is represented according to the MIDI standard.
> now i don't know if you're just pushing to make this point, when 3 people already manifested that this sounds reasonable and intuitive as well.
Signed integer surely does sound more intuitive than unsigned integer, I agree. My point is, if we want to program for intuitiveness, then normalized float is good (possibly with a different rescaling for the positive part, so that -1 ->  -8192 and 1 -> +8191, either way, it should be clipped to range).
If we want to abstract from the implementation (as both normalized float and signed integer do), then I would advocate for the former, as it makes more sense altogether. Going for the latter is, in my opinion, not much of an improvement over the current situation and I would not bother, ESPECIALLY if it is going to be a breaking change. But then, I only recently subscribed to this mailing list, so I have no idea what practices are already in place in the development of Pd, I was just sharing my opinion on the subject, didn't want to cause disturbance.
Best,Giulio