[PD] HiDPI woes

jason jason at noisybox.net
Sun Sep 25 22:06:51 CEST 2016

Heya. I'm a long-time Pd user who just upgraded to a laptop with a
high-resolution screen.  Debian sid (unstable), Pd 0.47.1-1.

I saw a discussion on the list from back in April, and I'm aware of the
zoom feature and the ability to specify font size on the commandline.
Even so, the main UI is absurdly microscopic and mostly unusable.

Here is a screenshot of an example patch run with -font-size 64.

http://imgur.com/a/q7yce

Keep in mind that the screenshot is pixel-for-pixel, and that pixels are
very small on this display.  To see what it actually looks like on my
laptop screen, hit Ctrl-minus (zoom out) about 5 times in your browser.
For reals.

I honestly don't use the menus that often, but the inlet/outlet handles
are also very tiny and make patching difficult/frustrating.

So what else can be done?  Any clever work-arounds?  I've fiddled with
~/.wishrc and ~/.tclkitrc files and they seem to have zero effect on the
UI appearance.

Thanks!

-jason