[PD] HID APIs and PlayStation Move LED support

Mikael Bouillot srmflxqb at corbac.com
Tue Sep 27 12:47:44 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 09:57:33AM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > I would like the whole device to be controlled through a single object.
>
> may i ask why?

Well, the controller is a single physical device and as such, it feels like
it should be represented by a single object in Pd. For example, I could need
to connect four controllers at once, and I would like each to be represented
by its own object.

Also, each object needs its own context (the connection to the device), so
for a single device, the [in] and [out] objects would need to share that
context. Otherwise, I would need to connect each [in] and [out] separately.

> (e.g. Pd offers two distinct objects to read and write samples from your
> soundcard ([adc~] and [dac~]) and this seems to work for most people :-))

Well, that's true, but in my case it's a bit uglier than that: not only would
I have two distinct objects, but each would be in its own distinct module.

The [in] object would be an instance of [hid] (or [hidio]) and the [out]
object would be from a new external dedicated to controlling LEDs on Linux.
Because of this, it would require each input and output to be configured
separately.

>From a usability standpoint that's probably not going to fly with my client,
but I'll give him a demo tomorrow and we'll see how it goes from here.