[PD] purr data beta1

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 18:34:24 CEST 2016

> They were not abandoned. IOhannes split the centralized subversion repo
> into separate git repos, one for each external:
> http://git.puredata.info/cgit/

what I meant is this, if you check it in here

http://puredata.info/docs/LibrariesInPdExtended/

Most of the libraries were officially maintained by Hans, and I figure
cause original maintainers did abandoned development for them, like it
happened to cyclone as I can infer. Then when Hans stepped out, the vast
majority of these seemed to simply have been left orphans. Not to mention
some that were already "Unsupported, Included Libraries" in Extended and
even "Libraries Which Are Being Removed In 0.43" with the remark that if
they were to be brought back, maintainers were needed ("There are various
reasons that some libraries are probably best not included. If you believe
otherwise, you can take on the maintenance of these libraries").

This leaves a handful of supported libraries in the midst of almost 100 of
them. And let me add that being listed there as supported is not a
guarantee they are being in active development/maintenance, causeI tried
reaching bsaylor, for instance, and got the answer that there wasn't time
to work on it...

I know they are still out there, waiting to be taken care of. And what I'm
saying is that maybe a priority on bringing back a spiritual sucessor to
extended would be having libraries in active maintenance/development.

> You know exactly how this works, having stepped up and continued cyclone
> development. We just need a few more Porres’.

haha... yeah, and more of Fred Jans too, as he's been stepping in and
taking care of a handful of other libraries. We needed quite a few i'd say.

But not sure what to do in order to promote this other than chatting about
it here :)

cheers