[PD] purr data beta1

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:54:05 CEST 2016

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 2:44 PM, João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/30/2016 09:11 PM, João Pais wrote:
>>> ah, I was thinking of android and iOs
>>
>> ah, that one again....
>>
>> the problem with iOS is that
>> - all software must go through the AppStore
>> AND
>> - the AppStore does not allow GPL software.
>>
>> the "problem" with the entire external collection as was shipped with
>> Pd-extended (and is shipped with Pd-l2ork and purr-data) is that a
>> relevant percentage of the externals are released under the GPL.
>>
>> so how?
>
> didn't Dan manage a Pd "port" with his pdparty?

No. PdParty uses libpd and emulates the GUI objects via send/receives. There is no ability to patch, only run patches and scenes which are essentially folders with a specific layout. I could/would consider adding this in the future if/when libpd can properly wrap the various GUI controls. Also, rethinking interface design for mobile-based patching is a non-trivial task. So far I am limiting myself to things I *need* as opposed to things that are *possible*.

PdParty is meant as an alternative to my Linux-based wearable computer using iOS. It’s not a replacement for desktop Pd.

> in case purr-data turns out to be reliable, would it be a possible idea to use it also with this project, or is it too much too fast?

I have no plans to switch from libpd which is built around Pd vanilla. AFAICT most of the major updates to versions/branches/forks etc of Pure Data involve usability and bundling of externals which is a different domain that is not useful for a libpd-based app which creates it’s own interface and only uses the pd core.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>