[PD] no audio in pd-vanilla UBUNTU 16.04

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 4 17:34:46 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-04 16:52, José Rafael Subía Valdez wrote:
> I need a bit of help with the latest vanilla (0.47.1) in ubuntu 16.04
> I have compiled from source

why do you not use the Debian packages?
(oh, because xenial still has Pd-0.46-7)

the mailinglist archives should give you instructions on how to properly
build an uptodate Pd debian package.

> but I can't seem to get the audio working.
> I have Ubuntu in my Macbook Pro (mid 2010) and I have followed the
> instructions  in "install.txt". checked the dependencies and after I finish
> it says:
>

> Configuration summary:
>
>   Target ...................... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>   C++ bindings ................ no
>   Debug output ................ no
>
>   ALSA ........................ yes
>   ASIHPI ...................... no
>
>   OSS ......................... yes
>   JACK ........................ yes

good.

> when I run pd in command line it says:
>
> priority 94 scheduling failed.

how do you "run pd"?
anyhow, this is only to indicate that Pd uses non-realtime priviliges;
which should work as well.

> but in pd I have no device to select in audio settings and  if i try to
> select anything, the pd window spits out this:
>
> /dev/dsp (read/write): No such file or directory
> (now will try write-only...)
> /dev/dsp (writeonly): No such file or directory
> /dev/dsp (readonly): No such file or directory

because the default is (still) to use the OSS backend, which is
obviously not enabled on your system.

> any ideas what I am doing wrong?

start "pd -alsa" or "pd -jack" (or set the audio backend via the media-menu)
afair, the Debian packages have set the default to "-alsa", so it
usually just works.

fgmasdr
IOhannes