[PD] Meta Data in a PD file

José Rafael Subía Valdez jsubiavaldez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 21:42:01 CEST 2016

Oh!! is that what that is!, however you can still see this in the patch,
that is why I was confused. I will take a look at that,

thanks Roman.

BTW, is there a method to get the file name that you open in the patch?
something like canvasname but from the parent itself? (donno if I am
explaining myself properly here)

cheers

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Don, 2016-10-06 at 16:39 +0100, José Rafael Subía Valdez wrote:
> > I dont know if it has been discussed, I have searched the archives
> > but didnt find anything simliar.
> >
> > would there be a way to write a META DATA section at the end of a .pd
> > file?
> > I guess this is more of a request. But what if there was a META DATA
> > section available to record things that would be "binded" (don't know
> > if "bound" is the word) to the file. Maybe this could be an open -
> > available- part of the pd file for users. I have been trying to do
> > this in PD by simply writing at the end of the file and then with the
> > [text] object or any similar go to the section where I would have my
> > meta data. The problem is that pd erases this section when saving the
> > file.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> Yes. Have a look at help patches of many libraries (for instance zexy
> or osc). They do use meta data by putting comments into a subpatch
> named [pd META]. This has two advantages over what you propose:
>
> * You can edit/add them with Pd
> * You can easily parse them with Pd (with [text], for instance)
>
> netpd uses a similar kind of meta tags for declaring version,
> dependencies and other stuff. The only difference is that the subpatch
> is named [pd NETPD 2 0] (2 0 being the version of the meta data format)
> and it uses message boxes instead of comments. Check [netpd-properties]
> if you're interested in seeing how such a meta tag parser could be
> implemented in Pd.
>
> https://github.com/reduzent/netpd
>
> Roman

José Rafael Subía Valdez