[PD] OSX midi ports visibility

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:35:34 CEST 2016

This is what I do which is working fine for me on 10.11 and have been doing for many years.

Create a virtual port in the Audio MIDI Setup app and have Pd use it:

* open Audio MIDI Setup app (in /Applications/Utilities)
* Window->Show MIDI Studio
* Double click IAC Driver
* Make sure the “Device is online” checkbox is enabled
* Click the Plus button under the Ports list to add a virtual input (mine is named Pure Data In)
* Click Plus again and add a virtual output (mine is named Pure Data Out)

Next, open Pd and have it use the input & output virtual ports. Save the settings.

Download and install MIDI Patchbay <http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/>. You can then use it to route between the devices and Pd as well as save hot plug settings, kind of like the Alsa MIDI routing in qjackctl.

I’ve not actually connected to devices directly in Pd since the above handles everything.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>