[PD] Purr Data beta 2

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:44:43 CEST 2016

I use Homebrew all the time. It’s great. Definitely nicer to use than macports.

I prefer Homebrew as it uses as many of the built in programs and libs already on OSX. That means it’s *much* faster to install/build packages since most things don’t require as many dependencies. You can, of course, also install packages to supersede the often older versions that come with the OS.

Also, it uses the more standard /usr/local as opposed to Macport’s /opt, so most build systems find things automatically.

One more point, Homebrew has prebuilt binaries as well so installing *big things* is relatively quick too.

Actually, when Jonathan sent me the purr data wiki, I did a quick check and pretty much all of the libs y’all install via macports are available in Hombrew.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>