[PD] Purr Data beta 2

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 22:36:19 CEST 2016

As a blanket answer that may be true as that’s not the goal of the project, but technically, it’s totally possible depending on what you’re building. In the end, it’s all just C/C++ libraries you *could* download and build yourself.

The same is true for different versions of Linux distros.

Anyway, I’ll stop talking technical then agree that you probably can’t build for a 10+ year old OSX version on a contemporary one, at least with the amount & type of dependencies you are dealing with. That being said, if it’s easy for people to build it themselves, then it’s simpler to focus on putting out a binary with more recent compatibility like 10.8+. The vast majority of OSX users are using 10.8+.

 My test builds of vanilla for OSX seem to work fine back to 10.8. I need to do some more testing to figure out what details I’m missing for it to work on 10.6 & 10.7, but then I’d need a computer running either of those at hand… maybe not worth it since people can much more easily build vanilla for themselves if/when they need to.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>