[PD] OT : using libre office for data regression; WAS Re: efficient approximation of trig functions for hi pass formula (was: could vanilla borrow iemlib's hi pass filter recipe?)

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Wed Oct 19 18:32:35 CEST 2016

Le 19/10/2016 à 17:34, katja a écrit :
> Thanks for your update Cyrille. This seems a useful approach to find
> approximations. I should really learn how to do that with libre
> office. Do you have tutorial links? So far I found this:
> https://newtonexcelbach.wordpress.com/2015/06/28/using-linest-for-non-linear-curve-fitting-examples-hints-and-warnings/.

I  learn to do this yesterday...
Most informations I found on the web was outdated, but it's very simple.
for short :
create 2 column with X/Y data.
select the data.
click insert / diagram. select X/Y dispersion, in order to draw a X/Y graph of your data.
then double click on the diagram and click on the curve to select it.
then right click and "insert a tendency curve"
then enjoy all option available.
(there is no "odd only polynomial", but even value was almost 0 in the last example).

Don't forget to click "draw the equation"
The only problem is that i did not find a way to cut/paste the equation...

(my libre office is in french, so menu translation may not be accurate)

> For the filter recipe the curve must go through coordinates [0 1] and
> [pi -1], to get the expected behavior when cutoff frequency is set to
> DC or Nyquist. [hip~ 0] should not block DC, which is only possible
> when the coefficient is exactly 1 like you get it with
> (1-sin(0))/cos(0). I tuned my factors 'by hand' to do so. That may be
> possible with your libre office result as well.
yes, in my example the result is slightly different from 1 / -1.
i tried again, adding about 20 points for X=0 and X=1 to get more weight for this coordinate.
the coef where better, but not perfect.

still it's a good starting point for manual adjustment.

However, when done in
> double precision the calculation will give slightly different result.
> Above or below 1, I don't know yet. In any case this has to be
> considered when writing the C.
shouldn’t it be clipped? (what is a filter with negative frequency, or frequency above Nyquist?)

cheers