[PD] efficient approximation of trig functions for hi pass formula (was: could vanilla borrow iemlib's hi pass filter recipe?)

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Wed Oct 19 23:22:25 CEST 2016

> And the mysterious UNITBIT32 number in d_osc.c?

Funny you mentioned that! I just wanted to add that instead of approximating trig functions through polynomials one could also read Pd's cosine table ( float * cos_table ) with linear interpolation like it's done in [cos~] and [osc~]. Miller does exactly this in the code for [vcf~] which - I think - is therefore part of d_osc.c and not d_filter.c.
I'm wondering which of these methods is more efficient and/or more precise...

> A note on efficiency: coefficients in [hip~] are only recalculated
> when cutoff frequency is changed. How important is performance for a
> function rarely called?

It can be relevant for small blocksizes. Right now I'm working on a project where all audio is done with blocksize 1 + upsampling and that's where some setup code before the actual loop can become a bottleneck. At [block~ 1 0 8] one can get really paranoid of efficiency :-)

Christof