[PD] Request for help investigating the xeq sequencer package

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 22:30:40 CEST 2016

Hi All,

To find out if xeq, the sequencer package created by Krzysztof Czaja in
2006, is worth fixing, documenting and making a reliable deken package,
I am looking for someone knowledgeable of and interested in sequencers.

Xeq is a sequencer suite inspired by the [qlist] object, but extended by
several useful features, only very rudimentary described. At least it
supports midi files, searching for note sequences in its dictionaries,
and maybe even some sort of programming to control sequence parsing.

At the moment, xeq compiles but because of the very limited
documentation; an outdated paper and a few poorly documented patches its
usage range is unknown.

To some extend I can fix bugs when it is clear what the proper behaviour
is, but my knowledge of advanced sequencer usage is too limited to find
out how it should work. This also limits my capability to create useful
help-patches. So I am seeking help from someone with more than average
knowledge of sequencers.

I am aware that software can be too complicated to be useful, so at one
point the conclusion could be that xeq is not worth the effort to
document and debug it. But so far the framework looks well structured,
and some of the charted functionality is working very well.

For testing the source is available at
https://github.com/electrickery/pd-xeq/tree/experimentalReconstruction,
but I can provide a deken like zip with an executable and available
documentation for all the usual platforms. No stabilility is guaranteed,
but it sure it will be 'interesting' (if you like sequencers ;-).

Fred Jan