[PD] Request for help investigating the xeq sequencer package

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Sat Oct 22 10:46:59 CEST 2016

m Freitag, 21. Oktober 2016, 22:30:40 CEST schrieb Fred Jan Kraan:
> Hi All,
>
> To find out if xeq, the sequencer package created by Krzysztof Czaja in
> 2006, is worth fixing, documenting and making a reliable deken package,
> I am looking for someone knowledgeable of and interested in sequencers.

I use xeq since, hmmm 2003 for my "Autoklavierspieler" [1] and preferred it to
seq for the more flexible structure, playing in parallel und variable speed,
positioning within midifiles and and accuracy and dont know any more why else.
Using it in many installations now playing for years, especially the speaking
piano pieces.

The problem was compile errors since 5 years made me to use my own version of
the source, but not clean enough to release.

So I would be very pleased  if you  dekenize xeq.

mfg
 winfried

[1]  http://algo.mur.at/projects/autoklavierspieler

> Xeq is a sequencer suite inspired by the [qlist] object, but extended by
> several useful features, only very rudimentary described. At least it
> supports midi files, searching for note sequences in its dictionaries,
> and maybe even some sort of programming to control sequence parsing.
>
> At the moment, xeq compiles but because of the very limited
> documentation; an outdated paper and a few poorly documented patches its
> usage range is unknown.
>
> To some extend I can fix bugs when it is clear what the proper behaviour
> is, but my knowledge of advanced sequencer usage is too limited to find
> out how it should work. This also limits my capability to create useful
> help-patches. So I am seeking help from someone with more than average
> knowledge of sequencers.
>
> I am aware that software can be too complicated to be useful, so at one
> point the conclusion could be that xeq is not worth the effort to
> document and debug it. But so far the framework looks well structured,
> and some of the charted functionality is working very well.
>
> For testing the source is available at
> https://github.com/electrickery/pd-xeq/tree/experimentalReconstruction,
> but I can provide a deken like zip with an executable and available
> documentation for all the usual platforms. No stabilility is guaranteed,
> but it sure it will be 'interesting' (if you like sequencers ;-).
>
> Fred Jan

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171