[PD] libpd for Unity still alive?

Ali Momeni batchku at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 01:23:55 CEST 2016

Hello all,

My answers in line below:

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Scott R. Looney <scottrlooney at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Android latency is often a fact of life, even by that much. one question
> is whether you're getting that latency playing it in the Editor. if not,
> that may be a libpd question that would need answering. you might also
> reach out to Sebastian(hagish) to ask him, though he might be no longer
> working with libpd since Kalmiba wasn't updated in a while. he did in fact
> say that Android latency was an issue in the Read Me. however you might
> have more luck with this fork which has a latency fix in Android. not sure
> how good it is, but it's been updated about a year ago:
>
> https://github.com/marcinkaszynski/kalimba

This is great to know; i will try that.
To answer your question, I do not have this latency issue in the editor.
Even more importantly, I don't have this issue when i build the same Pd
patch for android, using the libpd4unity approach, as i've done here:
https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter
<https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter>

> @ali - as i understand it, creating instances of PD/libpd has been
> discussed for a while as a positive step. i haven't had a need for it yet
> but others on this list have discussed benefits, mostly in terms of both
> power and resource management. there are drawbacks as well, but
> unfortunately i don't know the particulars. one instance is enough for me
> for the moment though. but i think the strength is dynamically spawning and
> killing resources as needed.

Good to know; thanks scott.

ali