[PD] [pdconv16_r] Expanding abstractions & Compiling Vanilla Patches As Objects (Gen~?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:47:11 CET 2016

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> > I wonder if a thing like libpd could work as turning a vanilla patch
> into a
> > compiled object to be used inside pd... that'd be something like gen~ in
> > max/msp.
>
> Can you be more specific ? For the moment, I think it would be equivalent
> to use an abstraction or the object [pd~] (libpd loads dynamically a patch
> so I guess that the execution of the patch cannot be optimized and except
> if the patch has been be somehow included inside the binary, you'll have to
> share the patch with the object). For me, the main advantage of gen~ is
> that it generates code that can be used inside an application but libpd
> already offers this feature. So what would be the advantage?

Well, I thought the code could be optimized somehow, which I believe is
something gen~ does, and that could be an advantage... but I really know
nothing and now it seems that is not possible.

> A - being able to retrieve control data from [inlet~]
>
> I did it in the Cicm Wrapper but it was pretty tricky. If you use the
> object [hoa.process~], you can send messages via a signal inlet for
> example. I'm not very proud of this because I had to hack a bit the inlet
> class. Now, I don't know if I must remove this feature or keep it...
> Perhaps somebody could tell/remind us if there is a reason why signal
> inlets can't receive messages.

cool, there's also a [route~] object from zexy which could be embedded in
inlet~

> B - being able to know if a signal is connected to [inlet~]
>
> I also did it in the Cicm Wrapper, perhaps this feature could be included
> in the "m_pd.h" interface because for the moment you need to include
> "g_canvas.h" and "m_imp.h". Anyway, if you want a simple code that shows
> how to do it, I have an example
> <https://github.com/pierreguillot/pd-dummy/blob/master/src/connected_tilde.c>
> in my dummy library.

awesome, it's be great to have something like this in vanilla in order to
improve the design of abstractions ;)

cheers