[PD] [pdconv16_r] Expanding abstractions & Compiling Vanilla Patches As Objects (Gen~?)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:12:08 CET 2016

> More generally, it would be great if abstractions could do
> anything a compiled object could do.

Exactly ;)

And again, let me add, there are things like the heavy compiler,
https://enzienaudio.com where you can compile pd patches into optimized code

how does that work? Wouldn't that be something like the "gen~" idea I
brought up? How hard would it be to have a compiler for a patch to be
turned into a coded object?

if abstractions could do anything a compiled object could do including
being optimized and efficient, that would be amazing...

cheers

> Miller did seem open to a control outlet on the inlet~ object. This was
> when we were discussing the clone object and how you have to pass messages
> to the first control inlet, if you have one, instead of just the first
> inlet always, to control the cloning operations. More generally, it would
> be great if abstractions could do anything a compiled object could do.
> Alex
>
> On November 1, 2016 8:47:11 AM PDT, Alexandre Torres Porres <
> porres at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Alexandre,

>>> into a
>>> in
>>>
>>> Can you be more specific ? For the moment, I think it would be
>>> equivalent to use an abstraction or the object [pd~] (libpd loads
>>> dynamically a patch so I guess that the execution of the patch cannot be
>>> optimized and except if the patch has been be somehow included inside the
>>> binary, you'll have to share the patch with the object). For me, the main
>>> advantage of gen~ is that it generates code that can be used inside an
>>> application but libpd already offers this feature. So what would be the
>>> advantage?
>>>

>> Well, I thought the code could be optimized somehow, which I believe is
>> something gen~ does, and that could be an advantage... but I really know
>> nothing and now it seems that is not possible.
>>

>> > A - being able to retrieve control data from [inlet~]
>>>
>>> I did it in the Cicm Wrapper but it was pretty tricky. If you use the
>>> object [hoa.process~], you can send messages via a signal inlet for
>>> example. I'm not very proud of this because I had to hack a bit the inlet