[PD] [delwrite~], or "what Pd operations are/should be realtime?"

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:22:44 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 10:48 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2016-11-22 17:29, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> >
> > there is a clear method for the delay line in pd-l2ork,
> > undocumented,
> > but there, not sure how it is done,
> implementing the "clear" is trivial.
>
> however, afaiu this is not the concern that miller has.
> the concern is, that you are breaking some realtime assumptions
> (deterministic, bound execution time), with *any* possible
> implementation.

This concern seems a bit arbitrary. Someone already brought up the
'const <number>' sent to array example, which is probably a similar
operation and already exists. Also, I once found out that resizing
arrays that are accessed by tilde objects causes a recalculation of the
DSP graph and this leads to drop-outs, too (but might be only noticed
when having a huge set of patches loaded so that the DSP graph is very
big). Since I found out about this, I try to avoid resizing arrays
altogether.

Personally, I think a programming language shouldn't second-guess what
is sensible for a programmer to do and what not. It should be up to the
programmer whether they want to risk a drop-out or not.

BTW, how can you implement a 'clear' method with abstractions?

Roman