[PD] Purr Data rc1

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 23:20:46 CET 2016

> awesome to see this close to a final release

> i see some guis seem to be fine, but still no cyclone/comment, are there plans to work it out?
I don't have plans to port it for the initial release, but I'd definitely still like to port it.

Question:
Have you made substantial improvements to comment.c in your fork?

The code I've been working from is from the old "miXed" directory.  In that code,
comment.c is so complicated it would probably take 10 times longer to port
it than just starting from scratch with the Max docs.  Also, I'm not sure whether
that code is trying to match Max's interface or whether it's simply an ad hoc
approach to getting arbitrary fonts to display and interact in a Pd canvas.  If it's
the latter then I don't want to waste time on it.

Another reason for putting it off is that I still haven't figured out a sane approach
to handling arbitrary fonts in a diagram where everything is absolutely positioned.
In fact I only have a minimally-workable approach to handling a single, mono-
spaced font across platforms.  For example, there was a change somewhere in
the Gnu/Linux font-stack (relatively) recently that renders fonts (or at least
DejaVu Sans Mono) noticeably wider than before.  So Windows, OSX, and
old Gnu/Linux would render a particular line of text sized at "12px" within less
than a single pixel of each other.  The new Gnu/Linux font stack (seen in Ubuntu
16.04 and some recent Arch) rendered the same text about 7 pixels wider.
Worse, the newer Gnu/Linux font stack quantizes the "px" sizes such that the
next smallest size is noticeably smaller.  So in Ubuntu 16.04 I have to compromise
by keeping the object box the same size and having some extra padding at the
end-- otherwise users of that OS could end up tightly spacing their object chains
in ways that cause overlaps on the other platforms.
So... I'd like to get a handle on that mess first, then handling arbitrary font
families-- as in cyclone/comment-- will hopefully be easier and less prone
to bugs.
-Jonathan

> cheers

Purr Data release candidate 1! (Don't have a semver figured out yet...)
* fix for iemgui colors not getting properly updated
* allow opening a file at OSX startup
* fix weird behavior when dragging files onto a Pd patch
* remove more debugging statements
* fix slider display error
* fix "Select All" on OSX
* fix allowed characters in atom box dialog
* forward console key events to Pd
* change [draw group] to [draw g]
* add fit width/height/optimal zoom shortcuts
* fix consistency bug with [draw]
* put "Window" menu in the customary position next to "Help" menu
* fix clipboard operations for patch snippets
* some translation fixes
* some Pd-l2ork fixes backported
* improvements for opening files in the same instance

please report lots of bugs to
https://git.purrdata.net/ jwilkes/purr-data/issues

Binaries:

rpi Raspbian (armv7l): https://git.purrdata.net/ jwilkes/purr-data-binaries/ raw/master/purr-data-armv7l- raspbian-rc1.deb