[PD] Purr Data rc1

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 23:30:26 CET 2016

> Have you made substantial improvements to comment.c in your fork?

so, here's the deal, we haven't touched it, but we really needed to. I
wanted to at least add a properties window and we really need to fix some
issues it has in cross platforms

> Also, I'm not sure whether that code is trying to match Max's interface or
> whether it's simply an ad hoc
> approach to getting arbitrary fonts to display and interact in a Pd
> canvas.  If it's the latter then I don't want to waste time on it.

It's not a good clone, and it is only related to old Max 4.0 - we don't
think it is a good idea to make it really compliant with the latest Max,
it'd be kinda crazy, but no matter how good of a clone it is and which
version it is related to, it is only a comment, it displays text on the
patch.

> Another reason for putting it off is that I still haven't figured out a
> sane approach
> to handling arbitrary fonts in a diagram where everything is absolutely
> positioned.
> In fact I only have a minimally-workable approach to handling a single,
> mono-
> spaced font across platforms.  For example, there was a change somewhere
> in
> the Gnu/Linux font-stack (relatively) recently that renders fonts (or at
> least
> DejaVu Sans Mono) noticeably wider than before.  So Windows, OSX, and
> old Gnu/Linux would render a particular line of text sized at "12px"
> within less
> than a single pixel of each other.  The new Gnu/Linux font stack (seen in
> Ubuntu
> 16.04 and some recent Arch) rendered the same text about 7 pixels wider.
>
> Worse, the newer Gnu/Linux font stack quantizes the "px" sizes such that
> the
> next smallest size is noticeably smaller.  So in Ubuntu 16.04 I have to
> compromise
> by keeping the object box the same size and having some extra padding at
> the
> end-- otherwise users of that OS could end up tightly spacing their object
> chains
> in ways that cause overlaps on the other platforms.
>
> So... I'd like to get a handle on that mess first, then handling arbitrary
> font
> families-- as in cyclone/comment-- will hopefully be easier and less prone
> to bugs.

well, it seems some of the issues are exactly what we're facing now...

cheers