[PD] Control external command from Pd

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:29:30 CET 2016

* Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> [2016-12-01 10:52]:
> Hey all
>
> I would like to use Pd to start and stop several instances of a certain
> command. I need to catch the stdout of the commands in Pd, so I can
> monitor their status. Also, I want to be able to kill them
> individually.
>
> I tried to achieve that with [ggee/shell], but there are some
> culprits.
>
> When I launch the command directly in [shell] like this:
>
> [command (
> |
> [shell]
>
> I get the command's stdout on the left outlet of [shell], but I don't
> know of a reliable way to send a SIGHUP signal to command.

You could try to start the command and then execute
	pidof command name
which should return the PID(s) of running commands, which you could
kill/hangup with yet another command.

Not totally on-topic, but after a discussion with a friend yesterday I
am curious if the functionality of ggee/shell can't be achieved with
pd-send and pd-receive as well?

Peter