[PD] cyclone comment and cross platform (was Re: Purr Data rc1)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Dec 4 21:15:04 CET 2016

The character is not invisible. In an editor it manifests with an
endline plus an indentation in the following line which actually
visually helps parse things out inside a plaintext file like .pd.

I think the example you mentioned, while possible, is contrived because
if a user is reading a config, they are likely already inside Pd with
the intention of using such a config to configure their patch state. If
this is the case, and the config is stored inside a patch in a form of a
comment, then this is a non-issue because all \v chars are replaced with
\n at runtime which IIRC regexp and similar methodologies can recognize
as a separation between args.

Now, the only reason I can imagine someone parsing a pd file without
actually loading it would be your pd META example for tooltips which is
a one-off example that can be easily addressed in a number of ways.
Other examples seem to me like academic exercises--why would you store
config inside a comments inside a pd patch, just to parse a comment
which would require you to circumnavigate all the other syntax inside
the file when you could do the same in a plaintext file or a coll
object, or better yet, use preset_hub/node system?

Best,

Ico