[PD] cyclone comment and cross platform (was Re: Purr Data rc1)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:19:30 CET 2016

> Why not just use the built-in <ctrl-5> comment?

So, why use cyclone/comment instead of pd’s comment?

It does offer advantages as it is, such as setting a different font type,
different font size and colors. It is still not updated  to the latest
version of Max 4, let alone up to Max 7, so it can be improved by including
other functionalities, such as background color. We didn’t touch it yet and
I was hoping to at least include a properties window as it’d be the
sensible thing to do with it.

I’ve been finding it very useful, and I can see advantages to have it in
vanilla even if you could use labels with spaces in there, such as not
having any canvas background or being able to break the text into different
lines.

Why keep distributing cyclone/comment in cyclone? Well, cause it was there
before…

Now, we have some issues with it.

In the cyclone development end, we find it is not behaving well in cross
platforms, we need to fix this! We haven’t really tried it yet… and we’re
not sure where to look.

In the Purr Data end, it is not yet ported, and it is the only object in
cyclone that doesn’t load yet.

So, my idea would be to maybe start a new cyclone/comment for Purr Data,
having it’s ability to use spaces in GUI’s labels as a starting point.
Somewhere in this process, it’d be good to come up with also a working
external, that doesn’t look weird in Linux, for the cyclone package release.

cheers