[PD] alsa : Invalid value for card

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 6 10:24:35 CET 2016

On 2016-12-06 10:13, Nicolas Montgermont via Pd-list wrote:
> I can't manage to make it work in pd,
> it appears in the menu, but when I launch dsp, it shows:
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> ALSA input error (snd_pcm_open): No such file or directory
> ... same for output
> what should I do to use it in pd?

iirc, there's a problem if the cards are not in consecuritve order,
starting with 0.

e.g. my devices are
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
                      RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 at 0xf3100000, irq 22
 1 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xf3420000 irq 33
 2 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf3000000 irq 17
$
which means i have 3 devices with ids 0,1&2.

if however, you have something like
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf3000000 irq 17
$

then you are missing the device #0, and Pd gets into trouble.

a couple of workarounds:
- use jack to talk with the soundcard, so Pd doesn't need to know
- make sure that the card numbers start with 0 (and are consecutive, in
case you want to access a not-first card); this most likely involves
tweaking some kernel module parameters (for the soundcards to be
loaded), and maybe some udev rules.

fgjmasdr
IOhannes