[PD] threadsafe multi-instance Pd? (Miller Puckette)

Pierre Guillot guillotpierre6 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:36:36 CET 2017

That's a great news !
I don't understand what you mean by " If this were (pd_this) were made
per-thread". Perhaps that's the point I didn't understand when we were
speaking about it at the Pd convention. How can we ensure that an object, a
patch or whatever uses the right pd_instance ?

Here a concrete example of my problem, if you load a new patch (canvas) in
a specific instance, to ensure that the canvas is added to the canvas list
of this instance, you need:
1 - Lock a global lock
2 - Set the right instance
3 - Load the patch
4 - Unlock the global lock

I don't see how we can remove this global lock without changing the
functions' prototypes that use pd_this (by adding a instance's pointer as
argument and removing pd_this).