[PD] puredata-core installing documentation twice on Debian?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 6 13:52:43 CET 2017

On 2017-02-06 13:41, Peter P. wrote:
> Not really. I just prefer to have files and folders once on my system if
> that's sufficient for proper operation as it is easier to remember and
> maintain for me.

actually, the /usr/lib/... is just a symlink to /usr/share/..., so the
files are indeed only stored once on your harddisk.

> I guess you are trying to have Pd's docs in its traditional location in
> /usr/lib/pd and in a Debain-style /usr/share/doc path.
>
> I am also surprised there is
> /usr/lib/puredata/extra
> and /
> /usr/lib/pd/extra
> which are owned by different packages respectively. Why not make
> /usr/lib/puredata equal to /usr/lib/pd?

because they are not equal.
/usr/lib/puredata is meant for externals that only work with the
"puredata" package (aka Pd-vanilla), whereas /usr/lib/pd/extra is for
externals that work with any flavour.
this is a left-over from the days of the pipe-dreams of co-existing
pd-vanilla and pd-extended Debian packages.
today's forks (pd-l2ork, purrdata) actively reject the notion of binary
compatibility (so they must not look for externals in /usr/lib/pd/extra)

apart from that, i question your methodolofy: which package is the owner
of /usr?

gasdrm
IOhannes