[PD] puredata-core installing documentation twice on Debian?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:07:39 CET 2017

Hi,

* IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2017-02-06 07:53]:
> On 2017-02-06 13:41, Peter P. wrote:
> > Not really. I just prefer to have files and folders once on my system if
> > that's sufficient for proper operation as it is easier to remember and
> > maintain for me.
>
> actually, the /usr/lib/... is just a symlink to /usr/share/..., so the
> files are indeed only stored once on your harddisk.
Thank you, this is clear to me now.

> > I guess you are trying to have Pd's docs in its traditional location in
> > /usr/lib/pd and in a Debain-style /usr/share/doc path.
> >
> > I am also surprised there is
> > /usr/lib/puredata/extra
> > and /
> > /usr/lib/pd/extra
> > which are owned by different packages respectively. Why not make
> > /usr/lib/puredata equal to /usr/lib/pd?
>
> because they are not equal.
> /usr/lib/puredata is meant for externals that only work with the
> "puredata" package (aka Pd-vanilla), whereas /usr/lib/pd/extra is for
> externals that work with any flavour.
Aha, this was not clear to me from the two paths alone. Thank you for
the explanation.

> this is a left-over from the days of the pipe-dreams of co-existing
> pd-vanilla and pd-extended Debian packages.
And could be consolidated maybe even?
> today's forks (pd-l2ork, purrdata) actively reject the notion of binary
> compatibility (so they must not look for externals in /usr/lib/pd/extra)
"must not" or "do not have to"?

> apart from that, i question your methodolofy: which package is the owner
> of /usr?
Thank you, is there an alternative way of posing that question so that I
could benefit (ie. understand it) more easily?

best, P