[PD] cross platforms issues with displaying fonts in vanilla but not in Purr Data

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 08:52:31 CET 2017

As a followup after checking pd-gui.tcl, the default font is Deja Vu Sans Mono in the find_default_font method, followed buy Bitstream Vera Sands Mono, Inconsolata, etc.

The problem is that this method is only called in startup if tk 8.5 is being used, as it is right now, the precompiled Vanilla is built using the older tk 8.4 Wish app so the font finding method is not used.

Alex, can you try one of my vanilla builds that uses tk 8.6? http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/ <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/>

Since you have Deja Vu installed on the system, it should be picked up automatically (in theory).

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What I was referring to was also the pixel & font sizing based on the platform. The default font search stuff from extended is in vanilla, at least in the tk side of things AFAICT. Monaco is the default on OS X because it’s pretty much guaranteed to be there. Deja Vu is not, but I would think the font search would check for that first…
>
> If you only want that font, it shouldn’t be too hard to change the defaults. Perhaps a better solution is to ship with the font itself on Win/Mac. I do this with PdParty on iOS which displays using Deja Vu Sans Mono ...
>
>> On Feb 11, 2017, at 11:51 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> This was fixed in extended years ago and the font handling improvements have simply not been ported to Vanilla. Your point is clear, what is not clear is (as usual) who is going to spend the time to port Hans' working solution to vanilla and in such a way as to have it accepted.
>>

>> 😕
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>