[PD] cross platforms issues with displaying fonts in vanilla but not in Purr Data

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:49:32 CET 2017

>Another issue is that, for many, the rendering of a bolded DVSM will simply look *ulgy* to those used to a normal-weight Monaco, especially if they never used an earlier version of Pd or Pd on Linux.

IMO the default cross platform font should NOT be Bold. As Dan said OSX users will most likely find it ugly, and it was not bold in Pd-extended nor is in Purr-Data.

>OTOH having consistent font width on all platforms would be a big plus overall. Changing the default font on Mac could be a Pd compatibility mode option as well.

Yes, anyway is rather easy to switch back to Monaco from Pds startupflags. And to go back to DVMS you simply delete the flag. (we have trouble with font names with spaces on Mac & Windows)

>>How difficult is to deploy DejaVu on Mac?

>Typically, add a key to the app bundle Info.plist and include the font in the app bundle's Resource folder. This means the font does not have to be installed system- or user- wide but only used by the app itself. This assumes Tk’s handling of app bundles picks up on registered fonts from the plist (it should).

>As for Windows, it looks like it’s possible to load a font that comes with the app (the Windows API alls this a:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms533820(v=vs.85).aspx

http://code.activestate.com/lists/tcl-core/8158/#sthash.qJEhQALT.dpuf

@Dan:

The Tcl thing is just for Windows?
Or Cross-platform?

On the Tcl link the guy is asking for something that works for Windows & Linux.