[PD] cross platforms issues with displaying fonts in vanilla but not in Purr Data

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:05:27 CET 2017

Hey all

I'm happy that so many people are trying to tackling the font / box
size issue in vanilla now. From what I can tell, box sizes aren't even
consistent within the same Linux distribution. When I switched from
Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, boxes grew horizontally by one pixel per
character for patches with fontsize=10. From what I can tell, other
font sizes haven't been affected (no change). Unfortunately, font size
10 is the one that I usually use for my patches.

And it's not only a visual defect. Symbolboxes suddenly don't fit into
the GOP area anymore and thus are not displayed at all on the parent.
Functionality of patches is truly harmed by this issue.

I never managed to get a deeper understanding of the problem and I
decided as a temporary work-around to manually fix the line for font
size 10 in font metrics in pd-gui.tcl whenever I update Pd. Somehow I
concluded back then that this is not a definitive solution, since my
modification failed to make box sizes consistent between Linux and
Windows.

On Die, 2017-02-14 at 22:46 +0000, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> Did you read my messages?

Yes, but I can't keep track of all of them.

> I need your results on All OS.
>
> Download:
>

> http://lucarda.com.ar/x/pd-gui.zip
>

> extract “pd-gui.tcl” and overwrite your existing one on the Tcl
> folder.

Done.

> Give us screen-shots on All Oss.

Of what? Is there a test patch to use for the screenshot? I guess it
would make the most sense if all participants in this survey would use
the same patch.

I can tell so much yet: Your pd-gui.tcl makes boxes use the "correct"
width (no overlapping in GOP) with fontsize=10. However, box height is
2px smaller compared to what I had in Ubuntu 14.04 and what I currently
have in Windows 10 (this is without DVSM, but with Courier in Windows).

I'd be really glad if this is going to be fixed.

Roman