[PD] autotools, fonts, etc

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 17:11:44 CET 2017

I plan to update the install.txt with up to date info on how to build Pd.

master branch
-------------------

In the meantime, the steps to build from a git clone of master are:

./autogen.sh
./configure
make

By default, it will build for the current platform architecture, usually 64 bit. If you want 32 bit, add this configure flag before making:

./configure --enable-universal=i386

To build a mac app, you would normally be able to run “make app” but, as I mentioned in my previous email, there is currently a bug, so you should call the app builder script directly:

cd mac
osx-app.sh -i 0.47.1

osx-app-fix branch
------------------------

The app builder problem is fixed in the osx-app-fix branch if someone wants to merge that.

osx-retina-support branch
----------------------------------

For those that want to experiment with building Pd for a newer Tk 8.6 Wish.app, you can install my test builds from http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/ <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/>
Otherwise, you can build from the branch directly (in this case for 32 bit):

git clone https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data.git <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data.git> -b osx-retina-support
cd pure-data
./configure  --enable-universal=i386
make

Now that Pd is built, you can either build the mac app using the included Tk 8.4 Wish via:

make app

Of you can build a Wish.app for a newer version of Tcl/Tk and use that instead. To do this, you have to call the scripts manually instead of through make (the following downloads and builds a 32bit Tk 8.6.5 Wish.app and uses that to create the Pd app):

mac/tcltk-wish.sh --arch i386 8.6.5
mac/osx-app.sh --wish Wish-8.6.5.app 0.47.1

Both scripts have extensive help which you can check via:

mac/tcltk-wish.sh --help
mac/oex-app.sh --help

dejavu branch
------------------

I put the prelim font work in a branch called “dejavu” from the master branch. It currently only has changes on Mac and bundles the font inside the .app when you build the Pd .app.

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 6:09 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: "me.grimm" <megrimm at gmail.com <mailto:megrimm at gmail.com>>
> Subject: [PD] autotools, fonts, etc
> Date: February 15, 2017 at 6:09:48 AM MST
> To: "pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>" <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
>

> some of these threads are getting too complicated to keep up on....
>
> can we get some clarity which i guess could be answered with a "yes/no":
>
> so Dans osx retina/autotools changes are now at github so:
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data.git <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data.git>
>
> config, make, etc
>
> $ cd mac
> $ osx-app.sh -i 0.47.1
>
> should do it...
>

> .... and i assume all the font stuff getting discussed is not part of this

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>