[PD] cross platforms issues with displaying fonts in vanilla but not in Purr Data

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 17:31:41 CET 2017

A program can essentially either resize fonts to fit hard-coded box sizes, or it can resize boxes to fit the fonts.  Pd Vanilla does the latter.

> And Purr Data does the former, right?
For DejaVu Sans Mono, yes.  But that's because I hard-coded font-size scaling factors known to work with the four font stacks: Windows,
OSX, old-school sane Gnu, and new-school outlier Gnu.
I'm currently checking for the new-school Gnu fonts by measuring a test-case at startup.  That can be revised to find the best fit for an
arbitrary font per box size, but it hasn't been done (or tested) yet.

> I think the first option is obviously safer. This issue is important in Pd as it is a visual programming language, it needs to be consistent
in my opinion, what are the challenges involved in making this change?
The challenge is figuring out if fit_font_into_metrics from pd-gui.tcl is broken.  If not, then figuring out why it isn't decipherable
by human beings.
-Jonathan