[PD] Menu bar height (differences across platforms)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:18:53 CET 2017

On Don, 2017-02-16 at 13:39 +0000, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> Here`s the backup:
>
> line 306
>
> # some platforms have a menubar on the top, so place below them
>             set ::menubarsize 0
>             # Tk handles the window placement differently on each
>             # platform. With X11, the x,y placement refers to the
> window
>             # frame's upper left corner. http://wiki.tcl.tk/11502
>             set ::windowframex 3
>             set ::windowframey 53
> # TODO add wm iconphoto/iconbitmap here if it makes sense
>

> Try changing these:
>
> set ::windowframex 3
> set ::windowframey 53
>
> try both to 0

Those actually do something, but they have a different purpose. They
specify the size of the window frame so that patch canvas is restored
to the same position it was saved with. If those values are "wrong" the
canvas is displayed with an offset after each save. I already fix those
numbers each time I install Pd to match my fluxbox style's small window
decorations. For me good values are 0 (x) and 43 (y). However, it works
only as long as the menu fits into one line. As soon as the canvas is
narrow enough for the menu to wrap, displacement occurs again.

Try this:

Create a subpatch [pd foo] in a new patch window. Then create this:

[vis 0, vis 1(

[s pd-foo]

Whenever you click the message box, you see the canvas of [pd foo]
moving a bit, depending on how "wrong" your values are. 0 0 is
certainly wrong for everyone.

Roman