[PD] deken and windows

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 04:56:35 CET 2017

> check the archives for the discussion on (not) automatically
> creating those paths (...) i would like to avoid going through that
> discussion *again*.

I could use some help like pointing me a thread subject or something, I
usually never find discussions I want and been part of in the archives...

> please file a feature request at the deken project

done https://github.com/pure-data/deken/issues/140

Oh, I am definitely going to challenge that notion. I am totally
> convinced the _correct_ way for the user-specific folder is to be
> created automatically at some point.

not shockingly, I totally agree... The current situation is just totally
absurd indeed and I just wanted to stress it.

>From what I remember, people objected to the auto-creation of ~/pd-
> externals directory. Yes, I, too, find it rogue to create visible
> folders directly in the user home without asking.

Was that really it? and why is it "rogue" to create a folder Pd needs as
the standard? I can't make sense out of this...

> I vaguely remember that people didn't want a pre-established way,
> because they thought that workflows are so diverse that deken shouldn't
> enforce one specific workflow.

But that it's exactly what it is doing right now! It always asks for the
SAME folder *every time* you start Pd... which is _never_ the one I use. So
if that was the reasoning, then this seems to have been in vain... and how
about this issue I had with windows? Where it's forcing a workflow that
doesn't work out of the box unless there is some workaround...

> Deviating workflows wouldn't be harmed at all by auto-creation of
> the user specific standard directory.

It would actually have solve my issue in windows...

cheers