[PD] external terminology

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:34:13 CET 2017

> I think in terms of:
>
> external: set of objects which are not part of the Pd core

Never thought of "external" (singular) in terms of a "set". Don't you mean
"an object" that is not part of Pd Core. By the way, by "Pd Core", do you
mean the Pd binary (not including the "extra" files?) or all objects in the
Pd Vanilla distribution?

library: compiled external object(s), akin to software library

> abstraction library: collection of patch abstraction object(s)

Well, I always thought that a library could have compiled objects,
abstractions, or both. I have seen many libraries in Extended that had both
compiled and abstractions objects.

And, again, I'm confused with the singular/plural idea. Seems you're
thinking that only one abstraction can be a "library", or just a single
compiled object. But I've never seen people referring to, for example, the
freeverb~ external as the "freeverb~ library". So my idea of "library" is
really a collection of objects.

Surely I might have gotten things just wrong and that's why I'm asking if
there is a consensus in the terminology

So, in short, the idea I've had so far is:

external (kinda short for "external object"): a single object not part of
the Pd Vanilla distribution, either an abstraction or a compiled object

library (kinda short for "externals library"): collection of externals.

cheers