[PD] external terminology

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 02:24:39 CET 2017

Well, like we were discussing in the other thread, I wish to edit the
puredata.info FAQ section and work on updating "how to install and load
externals" bit, and also add related stuff on "how to download externals
from deken"...

As part of this endeavour, I also felt like working on questions like -
what is an external? What are the types of externals? what is an external
library? Things we take for granted but when you sit to write it down, you
start questioning the concepts...

So this is what I'm coming down to, after thinking about it...

*- **Internal objects:** Objects that are part of Pd Vanilla’s binary  *

* - **External objects:** Objects that are **NOT** part of Pd Vanilla’s
binary (including pd's extra objects)*

* - **Vanilla objects:** Objects that come in the Pd Vanilla distribution
(which contains the internals plus a small collection of externals - the
“extra” objects).*

* - **Types of external objects**: 1) Compiled binaries ; 2) Abstractions
(Pd patches).*

* - **External Library:** Collection of external objects, be it
abstractions; a set of **separate binaries**; or a **single binary**
containing several objects.*